2022挪威秋季北極生態探險之旅行前(Before Svalbard Photo Expedition Early Autumn 2022)
It has been 3 years since my last time travel to the South George and Falkland 2019, the pervading world wide Covit-19 pandemic damaged the travel activities hard, it strictly offers a severe lesson to the mankind that how long we can stand, now people in the West have acknowledged that virus are always in our society and will never leave,
It has been 3 years since my last time travel to the South George and Falkland 2019, the pervading world wide Covit-19 pandemic damaged the travel activities hard, it strictly offers a severe lesson to the mankind that how long we can stand, now people in the West have acknowledged that virus are always in our society and will never leave, all the anti-virus activities in the pandemic have pushed the envelope to the limit of our living, now we have to admit that the virus have existed and will always there, so people urge to stop the blind and meaningless procedure and smartly going back to normal life again, I started my travel plan end of last year for this Svalbard photo tour under this mood, but there are new situation after pandemic staying in front of my travel plan, such as flight ticket、 the itinerary、 airport and accommodation etc., nevertheless, it is a happy recovery for the worldwide travelers who become life again.
這次北極之旅巳是我第五次去挪威的史瓦巴爾德（Svalbard），由於它地處北緯80度的冰封區域只能在夏季前去，因此前面四次都在春夏的季節，這次選在秋季的八月北極風貌應有一番不同的景象，至於參加的團隊仍是選擇2016年的Arctic wildlife tour，它是一家挪威在地的旅行團隊，服務及價格都在可接受的範圍，他們有豐富的北極旅遊導覽経驗，負責人Mr. Svein Wik具有30年以上的史瓦巴爾德（Svalbard）航行歷史，我過去每次的航行都能圓滿完成是值得推薦的一個團隊。
2022/8/21: 登船(MS Origo)
一. 內容概述：由於已多次前往挪威北極，這次希望能航行至更往東邊的海域，但誠如主辦團隊所言還是要視氣候和海域結冰狀況，這次也希 望能拍一些北極秋冬時節的風景。
- Day2-10:在Sjuoyane附近的浮冰區尋找野生動物，如氣候好續航向更東邊 包括Storoya或是Kvitoya等地區，往後根據天氣情況安排最適合拍照的航程，根據以往的經驗海面結冰是左右行程的重要因素，地圖上所顕示的路線僅作參考，根據沿線結冰的情況或許有機會航向更北的結冰海域。
- Canon 1Dx MK II
- Canon 5D MK IV
- 200-400mm/f4+1.4x extender
- 1.4x extender
- Gitzo GK2580 traveler tripod
- Gitzo G2272M 3D low profile head
- Mongoos 3.6 Gimbal head
- Cokin P filter set
- LEE SW150 0.9 graduated netral density filter
- LEE SW150 0.9 netral density filter
- LEE SW150 15 stop netral density filter
This time for me is the fifth expedition to Svalbard, owing to its location (80ﾟlatitude north), the last four expedition were all in Spring or Summer, this time I pick the time in Autumn trying to see a different landscape of Svalbard, I again join the “Arctic Wildlife Tour” who are the local Norway travel group with a bunch of the experience in cruising the Svalbard surroundings, the head of the group Mr. Svein Wik owns more than 30 years in the Svalbard expedition, I have joined them twice in 2016 and 2018, which all have experienced successfully a photography journey.
For the expedition this time, the good sign is the corona virus pandemic in Europe have been getting to the end, but the worry is upon the war between Ukraine and Russia, do hope they can solve the disputes between each other and let the world back to normal soon.
Now the brief description about the tour which quoted from the Arctic Wildlife Tour website (https://arcticwildlifetours.com/tours-and-expeditions/arctic-polar-bear-cruises/) is as the follows:
- The tour briefing: I have been times to Svalbard so this time I choose the cruise which can be more to the far eastern area, but it will depend on the ice drifting situation according to Mr. Svein Wik, except, I also wish to take some photos of unique Autumn landscape in Svalbard.
Autumn in the Svalbard archipelago, there are already the snow decorated upon the serrate mountains showing its different appearance, and in where existing lots of wildlife, we can see polar bars、 walrus、 seals、 blue whale and countless of bird species.
The ship for this tour is MS Origo is a medium vessel which is mobility and good for the cruise in the Svalbard area.
Svalbard archipelago located between Norway and the North pole, where among the wildlife and its wild landscape there are also delicate vista existed, Lonyearbyn is the capital of the archipelago, the population are about 3000 and also is the administrative center of the Svalbard archipelago, the community in Longyearbyn now has been developed since years among their culture festival and exhibitions, the name “Svalbard” means the “cold coast” ,which have found in the documentation in Iceland during 12 century, but overall the weather and temperature of the Svalbard archipelago are mild and warm comparing to the area in the same latitude, which are – 14ﾟto -30ﾟ C in Winter and 6ﾟ to 20ﾟC in Summer.
- Day 0: Arrived one day before the cruise.
- Day 1: Boarding from Longyearbyn and cruising to the north by Isfjorden to find the drafting ice.
- Day 2-10: Cruising to Sjuoyane searching for the wildlife in the drafting ice, we can cruise further east of the archipelago including Storoya and Kvitoya, then we are looking for a better area for photography if the weather is fine, the important factor of the tour according to the experience before is the ice condition of the sea, we might cruise further north if lucky.
- Day 11: we come back to Longyearbyn in the morning and prepare to go home after the breakfast.
- Temperature in Summer: 6-20ﾟC, in Winter: -14-30ﾟC
Win & water proof pants
Win & water proof warm coat with hood
Long to knee Arctic boots
Water proof warm photography gloves
Warm fur hat with ears cover
- My camera gears:
Canon 1DX MK II
Canon 5D MK IV
Gitzo GK2580 traveler tripod
Gitzo G2272M 3D low profile head
4th generation gimbal head
Neutral density filter:
Cokin P filters set
Lee 0.9 graduated neutral density filter
Lee 0.9 neutral density filte